Beta Eta Chapter History
When the Eternal Companions Society signed their charter to become Alpha Sigma Chi in 1878 the first Greek Letter Fraternity was founded at the University of Maine. Today Beta is the oldest fraternity on the University of Maine Campus. Beta has contributed greatly to the history of campus, from having the first house to helping to bring other fraternities to campus. In a time when Greek Letter fraternities didn't come to public land grant Universities such as Maine State College, the collaboration with Alpha Sigma Chi and a year later Beta Theta Pi was one of the first few such fraternities to be set up on such a state land grant college. After breaking the barrier to Maine, it helped the campus to attract other fraternities which otherwise may not have come along. Beta was a pioneer and the Beta Eta chapter began this by helping a small society become affiliated with Kappa Sigma fraternity. Beta Had the first house for a fraternity, originally off campus on Main Street in Orono, later moving into North Hall and finally building the current house in 1904, making our house one of the oldest buildings on campus.